Sunday, January 24, 2010
Do you want to know what muscle group you should work to improve your body’s total symmetry? …
Gentlemen, do you want a strong broad frame to wow the ladies with and improve your V -taper? And ladies would you love your waist appear smaller and have svelte sexy arm definition without adding bulk?
Building strong sculpted Boulder Shoulders will do all of the above!
Here are my top shoulder must moves to get totally Fitlicious!
Shoulder Exercise #1: Standing Olympic Bar Press
- Start by placing a barbell about chest height on a squat rack. Grab the barbell with your hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart, using a pronated (palms facing forward) grip.
- Slightly bend the knees and place the barbell on your collarbone. Lift the barbell up keeping it lying on your chest. Take a step back and position your feet shoulder width apart from each other.
- Once you pick up the barbell with the correct grip length, lift the bar up over your head by locking your arms. Hold at about shoulder level and slightly in front of your head. This is your starting position.
- Lower the bar down to the collarbone slowly as you inhale.
- Lift the bar back up to the starting position as you exhale.
- Repeat for 10-12 reps for 4 sets.
· VARIATION: Use Smith Machine, in a kneeling position for your Overhead Shoulder Press.
Shoulder Exercise #2: Lateral Raises
Most people incorporate the lateral raise into their shoulder training routines, which is great, BUT…most people also do it wrong and place themselves at a heightened risk of injury. The common mistake associated with this exercise is raising the arms too high. When the arms are elevated above shoulder level, the supraspinatus becomes impinged. Lateral raises are a great way to strengthen and build a nice round medial delt. I always work my shoulder isolaterally to ensure balanced muscle strength and prevent my traps from getting involved.
One-Arm Incline Lateral Raise Guide
- Lie down sideways on an incline bench press with your one shoulder pressing against the incline bench and the arm is lying across your body with the palm around your navel.
- Hold a dumbbell in your uppermost arm while keeping it extended in front of you parallel to the floor. This is your starting position. TIP: Go lighter than your normal weight used for lateral raises.
- While keeping the dumbbell parallel to the floor at all times, perform a lateral raise. Your arm should travel straight up until it is pointing at the ceiling, Tip: Exhale as you perform this movement. Hold and feel the contraction in the shoulders for a second at the top of the range of motion.
- While inhaling lower the weight across your body back into the starting position.
- Repeat the movement for 10-15 repetitions.
- Switch arms and repeat the movement. This exercise can also be performed standing.
Shoulder Exercise #4: Rear Delt Fly: For great results, interchange using the Reverse Fly Machine and Dumbbells. When on the Machine, perform single arm fly for 12 reps per side, then double up for reg two armed version for another 12 reps…oh you’ll feel the burn.
Shoulder Exercise #4: Overhead Dumbbell Press
This exercise is a must for your shoulder workout routines. The overhead dumbbell press is possibly the best shoulder training exercise for adding lean mass. There are a few variations you can incorporate into your shoulder training routine to get maximum results. The exercise can be done while standing up, sitting on an upright bench or isolating the shoulder with seated single arm presses.
*NOTE: Your shoulder training should always start with a 1-2 set lighter weight warm up sets of presses and/or pendulum rotations to prevent injury and prep you for a S.A.F.E workout! (Strong, Absolute, Fitlicious & Effective)
Sunday, September 27, 2009
John Stanton was named to MacLean’s Magazine’s 2004 Canada Day Honor Roll as one of Ten Canadians making a difference in our nation for his contribution to health through Fitness. John has also been featured on CBC Venture, the Vicki Gaboriau Show, Canada AM, CHUM Television, Global Television, the Weather Channel, the National Post, the Globe and Mail, and on numerous radio and television programs across Canada and the United States.John joined me in the Flow studio to talk about his latest book released on walking, and how You can get fit one step @ a time! And stay tuned for your chance to win a FREE signed copy of John's new book!
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
I recently had the pleasure of having Lyzabeth Lopez in the Flow studio to talk shop. Lyzabeth is an award winning certified personal trainer and a Holistic Nutritionist with over 13 year in the fitness industry. She has trained over 3000 athletes in gymnastics, dance, cheerleading, fitness & bodybuilding. She also trains a large number of celebrities, models, and actors.
With numerous editorials, features and covers in fitness magazines and television, my guest today has a large following of fitness enthusiasts dedicated to learning how to get fit with her through her Hour Glass Workout. Toronto’s own Lyzabeth Lopez is a leading lady in our fitness industry! Check out www.lyzabethlopez.com & Enjoy the interview in the 'Featured interview Section of Flow's site.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Attention all Get Fitlicious with Melissa Tucker listeners!
The new Flow 93.5 is launching a whole new monthly feature and wants your help. Each month I will feature an interview with a Fitlicious Fitness Pro that will provide deliciously fit info on health, fitness and wellness.
I would love to know which fitness pros you would like to hear from and what topics you would like to know more about. Email your requests to:MELISSATUCKER@FLOW935.COM
Clips from the he interviews will be live to air and also available as a downloadable podcast from the www.flow935.com website or from the Fitlicious Clubhouse. As an added bonus, Flow listeners can now log on to www.melissatucker.com to join the Fitlicious Club for free!
Monday, September 29, 2008
SOLUTION: By simply cutting out 500 empty calories per day and nothing else...you will lose 1lb/week! I've given you examples of how EASY it is to save those EXTRA calories in your daily habits, without feeling like you are 'ON a DIET' in the list below.
If you want to kick it into high gear and aim for a healthy 2 lbs/week fat loss just add a daily workout or cardio session intense enough to burn about 500cal.
With these two elements, your energy will be up, your sleep will be sound and your Fall fashions will look & feel their best!
Cut This: Try This: Calories Saved(One Serving)
mayonnaise (1 tsp) mustard 54
New England clam chowder Manhattan clam chowder 60
soft drink (1 can) water 100
cream of chicken soup chicken noodle soup 140
guacamole salsa 46
buttered popcorn (1 cup) air popped popcorn 108
regular potato chips (1 oz) baked potato chips 90
potato chips (1 oz.) unbuttered popcorn 60
pudding (1 cup) sugar free applesauce 108
ice cream (1/2 cup) non-fat frozen yogurt 153
cream (1 cup) evaporated milk 300
whole milk (1 cup) skim milk 60
nachos w/ the works tortilla chips & salsa 414
fettuccine Alfredo (16 oz) spaghetti w/ tomato sauce 426
veggie pizza (2 slices) no-cheese veggie pizza 314
chocolate (1 cup) cocoa 492
bagel w/cream cheese (1tbsp) apple slices w/ peanut butter 119
ranch salad dressing (2 tbsp) raspberry vinaigrette 68
ground beef (4 oz.) ground turkey 132
Hollandaise sauce (1 cup) white wine sauce 160
chocolate chip cookies (5) vanilla wafers 200
5th Avenue candy bar fig bar (3) 115
cinnamon Pop Tart (2) large graham crackers (4) 140
carrot cake (3 oz.) gingerbread 51
flaked coconut (1 cup) diced pineapple 265
cinnamon raisin bagel cinnamon raisin English muffin 106
café latte hot tea 122
sour cream (1 cup) plain yogurt 343